Posts for tag: Oral Hygiene Habits
Keeping your smile healthy is our top priority and it should be yours, too!
When was the last time you thought about your at-home oral care routine? Are you brushing as often as you should be? Are you flossing every day? These are important habits that can protect you against cavities and gum disease. In fact, decay and gum disease are highly preventable with the proper at-home care in place. Along with visiting our Cohasset, MA, family dentists Dr. Kevin Thomas and Dr. Aaron Chenette for routine checkups, here’s how to maintain good oral hygiene,
Enhance Your Oral Care Routine
Let’s see how your current oral care routine holds up. Here’s what your dental care should consist of,
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time
- Using fluoride toothpaste, which can reduce your risk for cavities
- Flossing at least once a day
- Using an antimicrobial oral rinse
- Brushing your tongue, roof of your mouth and cheeks
- Swapping out a toothbrush with old, worn bristles for a brand new one
Improve Your Diet
What you eat and drink everyday plays a major role in your health, both systemic and oral. Just as your bones, tissue and muscles need the right amount of nutrients to stay healthy, so do your teeth and gums. Avoid sugar, starches and processed foods (this includes most packaged meals and food items). Some additional diet tips to follow include,
- Getting enough vegetables and fruits each day (about five to nine servings)
- Staying hydrated
- Maintaining a diet that is balanced in lean proteins, whole grains, beans, nuts and low-fat dairy
- Checking all food labels for sugar content
Ditch Bad Habits
Everything from soda addictions and smoking to using your teeth as tools can cause long-term damage to your teeth and gums. It’s important to take a look at your current habits and how they’ve been impacting your oral health. If you are a smoker, our family dentist and her dental team can help you find local Cohasset, MA, smoking cessation programs or products to help you quit. Once you’re aware of your bad habits it’s easier to stop them. We can help.
To schedule a visit with one of our dentists, Dr. Kevin Thomas or Dr. Aaron Chenette please call Cohasset Dental in Cohasset, MA at (781) 383-9393.